Quick linksMake an appointment
Make an appointment
Book for quick and effective treatment of Fungal nail infections
With 3 to 8 out of 100 people in the UK developing a Fungal Nail infection at some stage of their lives, effective treatment if definitely needed to combat this common infection. As Onychomycosis (fungal nail infections) are contagious and easily spread, it’s important to stop the fungus from spreading. Here at Park Laser & Aesthetics Clinic, we offer Candela GentleYAG laser treatment as an effective method for treating nail infections. Our clinic is based in Nottingham City Centre.
Candela GentleYAG laser treatment is a non-surgical procedure and provides the following benefits compared to other methods of treating the infection:
- The fungal infection can be treated without the side effects of oral medication.
- There is minimal discomfort during the procedure.
- Nearly all infectious agents can be killed by heat, which makes treating fungal nail infections with laser an extremely effective option.
We recommend a course of treatments, 3 to 4 weeks in between, to effectively combat the infection.
What is a fungal nail infection?
This is an infection that affects the keratin (or the hard material) of the nails. It can affect either a part of the nail, or all of it (including the nail plate, nail bed and nail root). The infection develops slowly, resulting in the nail becoming distorted, discoloured and thickened. A fungal nail infection is more commonly found in toenails.
What causes infection?
A fungal nail infection can be caused by dermatophyte fungi – which is also a cause of athlete’s foot (a fungal infection that affects the skin between the toes).
There are multiple factors that can increase the dangers of a fungal nail infection from developing. These are:
- Poor health or health conditions such as diabetes
- Regular damage to nails or skin around the nail
- Wearing certain types of shoes causing your feet to get sweaty and hot
How does laser treatment work?
The laser treatment emits powerful rays of light that transmit through the nail to be absorbed by the infection and destroys it. The technician/consultant will fully explain your treatment to you. As a result, you will be able to discuss the effects of the treatment and the therapist will advise what’s best for you.
How long will the session take?
The duration of the treatment will vary depending on the number of nails being treated and how large the infection is. They will usually be between 15 minutes long.
How long will it take to remove the infection?
This is dependent on the size or extremity of the infection. Although our laser fungal nail treatment is extremely effective and competent, it can take numerous sessions to fully eradicate the fungus.
Also, because the infected nail material must grow out naturally, you will not see clear nails until the growth period is complete, this period is therefore dependent on how fast your nail growth is. It is important to follow nail care guidelines given by your technician to reduce the potential for reinfection.
Is there anything I can do before the treatment?
Whilst our treatment is effective, it is important to follow these pre-treatment instructions. This is to prevent occurrence of the infection. We suggest that you:
- Regularily cleanse and exfoliate your toes in order to remove any dead skin cells that may be suppressing any fungus. It’s best to also do this the night before your treatment.
- Bring new socks to wear after the treatment so that the treated foot is not affected again by a sock that may contain fungus (which can cause another infection)
- Remove any nail polish you may be wearing on your toes, since the laser cannot penetrate through the nail polish
- Clip your nails to a short manageable length. This can ensure that the treatment is fully effective since the laser can target as much of your infection as possible.
Does the treatment cause any pain?
During the treatment, you may feel a slight pressure on your nails or a snapping. However, there is no constant or extreme pain so no numbing or anaesthesia is necessary. Every client that has had laser treatment has completed the procedure easily and without pain or complications.
If you are still worried you can speak to us about your concerns. We also offer test runs on a small part of your nail so that you can get an understanding of how it may feel.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects may include discomfort on feet/toes, a burning sensation, bruising, scarring, blistering and swelling of the affected area/s.
What can I do after the treatment?
After the procedure, it is crucial that you prevent the infection from returning and reduce the risks of getting another one. You can do this by:
- Buying new socks that weren’t worn before the treatment/bleaching your old ones
- Wearing socks when you wear certain types of shoes (that may cause your feet to get hot and sweaty during the day)
- Washing your toes and feet daily
- Wear open toed or free shoes, such as sandals, in public places (swimming pools, bathrooms, etc. and anywhere else that can make your feet wet).
- Buy new nail care equipment and throw out your old ones (as they may be infected) – this included nail varnishes.
Consultations are free, so call 0115 8967878 for more information!
SPECIAL OFFER: £370 got 6 sessions on all ten nails.
£39 for one session on one nail
£59 for one session on two nails
£79 for one session on five nails
£150 for one sessions on ten nails